Money saving tips for backpackers
- Get yourself a ISIC, ITIC, ITIC Nomad or YHA card. These offer discounts in hostels and on certain trips for travellers under the age of 26 and teachers.
- Stay in a hostel that offers free breakfasts!
- Many hostels give their guests special food vouchers each day which offer money off meals in a certain bar or café in town.
- Rather than eating out all the time, buy your food at the supermarket or local market and cook up some cheap meals in the hostel kitchen (just make sure no one uses your stuff!)
- Travel in twos; many room charges don’t change whether there are one or two people staying in them.
- Some hostels allow guests to work (cleaning, on reception etc.) in exchange for free accommodation, email hostels in advance to find out.
- Take night buses/trains and sleep while you travel to save money on accommodation.
- Buy international phone cards that offer cheap calls home.
- If you need to get yourself some cheap, new clothes try local markets rather than shops.
- Hire/buy a campervan and save on hostel costs by sleeping in it.
- Hire/buy a car and share petrol costs with fellow travellers.
- Try eating in one of the food courts found in city shopping centres; they are great places to eat cheaply and offer everything from sushi and smoothies, to pizza and burgers!
- A lot of hostels will have offers such as pay for four nights get the fifth free, especially if you stay at off-peak times. Keep your eyes peeled!
- Go to special nights for backpackers in certain bars for cheap drink offers.